Special Educational Needs Report and Policy

Special Educational Needs Report and Policy
Mrs Condliffe – Senco
Mrs Bowers – Assistant Senco
Phone: - 01782 883000
Q/ What kinds of SEND does the Academy provide for?
The type of SEN the school caters for are:-
  • Communication and Interaction - speech, language and communication needs (SLCN), ASD – Asperger’s and Autism.
  • Cognition and Learning - Moderate learning difficulties (MLD), Specific learning difficulties (SpLD), e.g. dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia.
  • Sensory and/or Physical Needs - visual impairment (VI), hearing impairment (HI) or physical disability (PD).
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties - Anxiety or depression, self-harming, substance misuse, eating disorders or physical symptoms that are medically unexplained, attention deficit disorder, attention deficit hyperactive disorder and attachment disorder.
    Q/ How do you identify students with special educational needs (SEN)?
    At St Margaret Ward Catholic Academy, pupils who may have a SEN are identified in a variety of ways. These include:
  • Information from their primary school shared prior to transition
  • Key Stage 2 results
  • Reading and spelling test results (the academy is able to test pupils using standardised reading and spelling tests)
  • Subject teachers may identify pupils based on their performance in lessons
  • Parents/Carers may also be involved in identifying an SEN in the child.
Q/ How will I be able to raise any concerns that I may have? What do I do if I want to make a complaint?
There are a number of personnel in the Academy with whom you may raise concerns; there are however, key people who you may wish to contact should you have a concern:
The Form Tutor
Prior to transferring to the academy, pupils are placed in form groups; each form group has a form tutor. This person is the first point of contact for any concerns that a parent/carers may have about their child.
Assistant Learning and Progress Manager (ALPM)
For each year group there is an Assistant Learning and Progress manager who is responsible for supporting and monitoring the development and standards of the students within their year group.
The Learning and Progress Manager (LPM)
For each year group, there is a Learning and Progress Manager. This person is responsible for monitoring the progress of all pupils in the year group in the areas of: Uniform; Behaviour; Attendance; Progress and Homework. Each LPM has a Deputy who assists them with aspects of their role.
The Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO)
The Academy has a Special Educational Needs Coordinator; this member of staff is responsible for the policy and process in place to meet the needs of pupils with SEN.
The SENCO is managed by the Deputy Head Teacher. In some cases, this person may be involved in concerns raised by parents/carers.
In rare cases, the Head Teacher may become involved.
Contact with any of the above individuals can be made in the following ways:
  • Through the pupil planner
  • By telephone
  • By letter
  • By email
  • Through meetings
If any person feels that their complaint has not been dealt with adequately by the school staff, they are able to contact the NAMED Governor of Special Educational Needs and Disability, Mr Thompson, who will report their concerns to the Governing Body.
In addition, the Local Education Authority provides a disagreement resolution service.
Q/ How will the Academy staff support my child/young person?
The SENCO usually takes the lead in planning school support for a student with SEN. The SENCO will deploy Learning Support Practitioners (LSPs) from within the Learning Support Team to work alongside students who require additional support either in, or out of the classroom.
LSPs will be responsible for organising and delivering the planned interventions to identified pupils. This may be on a one to one basis or in a small group.
Depending on the provision made and the nature of the SEN, there will be variation in the time and frequency of the interventions. Some will be daily interventions, others may be two or three times a week.
The SENCO, along with the Assistant SENCO, will oversee programmes of intervention. They routinely assess what impact interventions have on pupil progress by looking at:
  • Reading and Spelling Ages
  • Performance in curriculum areas
  • School Reports
  • Feedback from curriculum staff
The SENCO writes a letter home to inform parents of interventions that have been arranged for pupils. An invite to discuss the additional provision, either by telephone or in person, is extended to parents in this correspondence.
The school holds parent drop in days where staff from the SEND team are available to discuss the provision made for students with their parents.
Members of the SEND team are available at the Year 7 parents evening and the SENCO attends parents’ evenings.
For pupils who have areas of need relating to their Emotional, Mental and Social health, there is a panel approach used in the school to look at what additional provision can be put in place. This panel includes the LAPM; Assistant LAPM; The Deputy Head Teacher and the SENCO/Assistant SENCO. The LAPM will oversee the process and assess the impact on pupil progress (see Additional Provision Policy). As stated above, the time and frequency of interventions will depend on the extent of the needs of the student.
Q/ How will the curriculum be matched to my child/young person’s needs?
Staff use a wide range of strategies to adapt the curriculum as part of a differentiated approach.
For those at School Support, a pupil passport is written. Pupil passports outline what additional strategies are required in the classroom to support a student. These are produced with the student so that their views of what helps them are taken into account.
Some pupils benefit from having an adapted curriculum. This is determined on an individual basis, depending on their needs and the views of parents, pupils and other agencies involved.
Maths and Science are taught in Sets so that pupils receive work which is pitched at their level of ability based on prior attainment. In other subjects, pupils are taught in mixed ability groups; here the work is planned and adjustments are made, to take into account the range of ability.
Q/ How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child/young person’s learning?
Pupil progress is monitored regularly by the school. The LAPM routinely scrutinises progress data to identify underperformance.
The SENCO and Assistant SENCO scrutinise data to inform decisions over what provision might be required to support pupils who have an SEN.
A progress report is provided to parents every term so that parents can see how their child/young person is progressing.
School staff meet with parents, as required, to discuss ways in which their child/young person can be supported. There is a formal opportunity every year for parents to meet with school staff. This is either at the parent consultation day or for some year groups, parents’ evening.
Q/ What support will there be for my child/young person’s overall well-being?
The school has dedicated pastoral teams for each year group. These comprise of an LAPM; Deputy LAPM; Form Tutors. There are also support staff allocated to each year group. Pastoral teams meet every fortnight where the well-being of pupils can be discussed.
Pupils’ overall well-being is monitored by this team of people in the first instance. For most students, their well-being needs are met through such pastoral arrangements.
Certain staff in school have a more specific role in monitoring pupils’ well-being such as the safeguarding staff: Mrs Pritchard (Deputy Principal), Mrs Holdcroft and Mr Brennan.
For some students, it may be that additional provision is required in order to meet their well-being needs. This is discussed in the Additional Provision Panel Meetings, attended by an Assistant Head, the LPM and the SENCO. Additional provision to support a student’s well-being may be identified at these meetings.
Q/ What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the Academy?
The school accesses support from various external providers such as:
  • The Educational Psychology Service
  • SEND Services (see Local Offer)
  • The School Nurse
  • The School Counsellor
  • Family Support Workers
  • Social Care Services
  • Voluntary Sector Services such as Yellow House, The Dove Centre, NSPCC
  • Medical Professionals such as Physiotherapy, Speech Therapy
  • The Careers Service
NB This is not an exhaustive list.
Q/ What training have the staff supporting children/young people with SEND had or are having?
The SENCO is a Qualified Teacher who is currently completing the National Award for Special Educational Needs Coordination.
The Assistant SENCO holds a BA Degree in Teaching Assistance and the Access Arrangements Qualification for those students who require arrangements during formal examinations.
All Learning Support Practitioners hold relevant qualifications to their post, at NVQ level and/or degree level. All Learning Support Staff complete ongoing Continual Professional Development related to their role. Most recently, training has been aimed at Effective In-Class Support.
Q/ How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?
All students, regardless of their SEND, are included in activities outside the classroom, including Educational Visits.
Staff planning activities and trips take anticipatory action in order that pupils can be included. Students with disabilities or special educational needs have also been included on residential trips in the UK and overseas.
Q/ How accessible is the Academy environment?
The Academy has recently undergone extensive building work to improve the facilities and physical environment.
Height adjustable furniture, lifts access, ramps and more disabled parking are examples of some of the improvements that have been made.
Adjustments are made to rooming if there is a specific reason why a pupil is unable to access a part of the school.
Q/ How will the Academy prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting, transfer to a new setting or the next stage of education/life?
Moving on to another setting can be a difficult time for children/young people. The Academy takes certain steps to ensure that this happens as smoothly as possible. These include:
  • Attendance at Primary School meetings where this is felt to be needed.
  • Preparation and transfer of information from the previous school or on to the receiving school or college.
  • Additional visits in advance of starting at the Academy, where required.
  • Meetings with parents individually or at the Y6 parents’ evening.
  • Friendship and academic day where pupils sample some of the curriculum and meet their form groups.
  • The Y7 Mass which celebrates the move to secondary school.
For older pupils, the transition may be to Further Education, Higher Education or even a work placement. Again, pupils are supported through:
  • Involvement of the Careers Service.
  • Visits to Colleges/Universities, sometimes with a support worker, if required.
  • Work experience or college taster days, supported by Academy staff, as required.
Q/ How are the Academy’s resources matched to a student’s special educational needs?
Most students’ needs can be met from within the school’s resources. For some students, there is a need to put in additional resources to help them, make progress.
The Academy has a range of interventions programmes or strategies that can be used to address the range of needs. Interventions are research based in order that they are quality assured. 
When a student is identified as requiring additional support, the SEN team, in collaboration with others staff in school and external services decide on what provision would be the most suitable. Progress is monitored and evaluated to determine whether the resources allocated are having an impact.
Q/ How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?
The amount support that a pupil receives is based on an analysis of need which takes into account the areas that pupils find the most difficult. Priority support is usually given to developing students’ literacy and number skills.
The amount of support given may also be determined by the type of intervention received and how much time this requires for delivery.
Q/ How will we be involved in the decisions about the learning of our children and young people?
All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education. This may be through:
  • Discussions with the subject teachers or form tutor.
  • During parents’ evening.
  • Comments in home/school planners.
  • During discussions/meetings with SENCO, or other professionals.
  • School questionnaires.
  • Pupil Passport creation and reviews
  • Annual Review meetings for pupils with Statements of SEN and EHC Plans.
Q/ How are parents involved in the setting? How can I be involved?
The SEN team run drop in sessions for parents to talk to members of staff about their child’s needs. Parents are able to communicate with the staff at the academy via the school planner.
There is a formal opportunity for parents to meet with teachers to discuss their child’s progress at parents’ evenings and consultation evenings. Support staff are also available on these occasions to speak to parents about students who may have SEND. Parents’ views are also required for completion of the Pupil Passport.
The school involves parents in a wide range of school activities such as: masses; transition events; sports day and prize evening.
Q/ Who can I contact for further information?
Further information is available from Mrs Condliffe (SENCO), Mrs Bowers (Assistant SENCO). The Deputy Principle with line management responsibility is Mrs Pritchard.
Q/ What other support is available to parents and how can I contact them?
The LA provides a parent partnership service to support with and guide parents/carers with regards to SEN (SENDIASS)
Tel: 01782 236414   E-mail: independent-supporters@stoke.gov.uk
From the young person’s point of view
Q/ How does the Academy know if I need extra help?
The academy will look at information given by your previous schools to decide if you need extra help. Teachers and support staff will also use information from any assessments that you complete to help decide if you need any extra help.
Q/ What should I do if I think I need extra help?
If you think you need extra help, you could speak to your parents, your form tutor or the Learning and Progress Manager. Alternatively, you could speak to Mrs Condliffe or one of the support staff.
Q/ How will my coursework be organised to meet my individual needs?
Depending on what your needs are, you may receive support in completing coursework in a number of ways. These could include:
  • Working alongside an adult to plan your coursework
  • Working alongside an adult to complete your coursework
  • Discussing your ideas with an adult
  • Use of access arrangements (where permitted) such as extra time, a scribe, ICT support, a reader
  • Support staff often work alongside students in the classroom to help them prepare and complete coursework
Q/ How will I be involved in planning for my needs and who will explain it and help me?
Students are involved in discussing the support they need through the completion of a Pupil Passport. This document allows you to share what information you think would be useful for your teachers to know about you. This will help them to take your needs into account when planning lessons.
Students are also frequently involved in meetings between parents/carers and school staff. Your views are important and we try, wherever possible, to take them into account when making plans to meet your needs in school.
Q/ Who will tell me what I can do to help myself and be more independent?
Your teachers are key in helping you to know what you can do to make progress in their subject. Teachers will do this by speaking to you; writing comments in your books; at parents’ evenings/consultation days and in your annual school report.
School Support staff will also be able to help you to know how you can help yourself and become more independent. They might work with you on a regular basis, in or out of the classroom; they might also meet with you occasionally to discuss your progress or plans for the future.
Q/ What should I do if I am worried about something?
There are a number of things you can do if you are worried about something. You could:
  • Tell your parents/carers
  • Tell your form tutor or LAPM
  • Tell a teacher
  • Tell another adult in school
Q/ How will I know if I am doing as well as I should?
Your teachers will give you regular feedback both verbally and through marking your work. This will help you to know how you are progressing. This feedback is based on what progress you are expected to achieve.
The LAPM will look at how each student is doing in the year group; if they are worried about your progress, they may take action such as placing you on an academic monitoring report or by arranging some extra support.
Q/ Are there staff in the Academy who have had special training to help young people who need extra help?
There is a team of people who work in the Inclusion Department. Each member of staff have skills and expertise in supporting students in different ways for instance: some staff are trained in supporting pupils in the classroom; some are trained in using intervention programmes and some are trained in giving emotional and social support.
Mrs Condliffe is the SENCO. She is responsible for leading the team of people who give students support while in school.
Q/ Can the Academy get extra help from experts outside if they need to? (e.g. advice and training on medical conditions)
The Academy staff sometimes work with other professionals who give advice and help to plan the support given to students.
Professionals from outside the school regularly give training to the Academy staff on how best to help and support students with needs.
Link to Stoke-on-Trent Local Authority: Local Offer