Children and Young People in part time jobs

Children and Young People in Part Time Jobs
Basic rules and permitted hours of work
Under national and Stoke-on-Trent City Council byelaws, licences can only be   issued within strictly defined limits:
  • all work must be light duties only
  • no school aged child can work before 7am or after 7pm on any day (including holidays).
A licence will be withdrawn if the child’s  school attendance starts to deteriorate as a result of their employment.
Permitted hours of work
Children aged 13 to 16 may work a maximum of 12 hours per week. They must have two consecutive weeks when there is no employment during holiday times. On a school day they can work two hours per day outside of school hours. This may include up to one hour before school.
During school holidays, children aged 13 to 14 can work 5 hours per day or 25 hours per week. During a weekend, they can work:
Saturday        5 hours                       
Sunday          2 hours
During school holidays children aged 15 to 16 can work 8 hours per day or 35 hours per week. During a weekend they can work:
Saturday        8 hours
Sunday          2 hours
Jobs that do not require a licence
Not all work is covered by the law on part-time jobs: Jobs which do not require a licence include:
  • children doing odd jobs around the house or for neighbours
  • babysitting or other work for individuals and families
  • work experience organised by the school
There is no legal age requirement, but parents are advised to think carefully before allowing children under the age of 16 to do these jobs and to closely monitor what their children are doing.
Jobs that must have a licence
Any employment of a child of school age (up to the end of year 11) in a “ trade or occupation carried out for profit” is illegal without a licence. This includes parents who employ their own children in their own business even if they are not paid.
Jobs that need a permit include:
  • paper rounds (but not collecting money)
  • shop (retail) work
  • clerical / office work
  • leaflet delivery
  • waiting tables
Please note that neither the above nor the “Prohibited Employment” list is exhaustive and any prospective employer or parent should  contact the Education Welfare Team if in doubt.
Many young people work part-time. This leaflet explains the law and how parents, employers and the Local Authority (LA) can work together to make sure children and young people are safe when working.
No child under the age of 13 may be employed.
Prohibited Employment
No child of any age may by employed in:
  • A cinema, theatre, discotheque, dancehall or night club except in a performance licensed by the LA.
  • The delivery of fuel oils.
  • A commercial kitchen or a bar or licensed premises.
  • The collection or sorting of refuse.
  • Any work more than three metres above ground level.
  • Any job involving harmful exposure to physical, biological or chemical agents.
  • Dealing with bets in a licensed betting office, street trading, the collection of money or selling / canvassing door to door or telephone sales.
  • Work involving exposure to adult material.
  • Slaughterhouses or butchery operators.
  • As an attendant in a fairground or amusement arcade.
  • The personal care of residents in any residential care home or nursing home.
  • Milk deliveries.
To apply for a licence
The employer must complete an application form which is available from the Integrated Education Welfare Team within one week of the child starting to work. The form must be signed by both employer and parents.
Also we will require parents to include a registration certificate from the child’s school highlighting their attendance for the last 12 months. These rules are intended to protect children from exploitation and to ensure that their education does not suffer.
Rest Breaks
One hour break after each four hours of work.
There is no minimum wage for children.  Parents and children should decide if the rate of pay seems fair.
Action parents should take
  • Ensure the job is safe and the employer is reputable.
  • Ensure the employer applies for a licence and obtains your signature.
  • Check the employer has carried out a risk assessment and informed you of any control measures they have taken.
  • If you want to employ your own children please ensure you obtain the required licence.
  • Make sure your child has a licence to work until they are old enough to leave school.
  • Ensure regular attendance at school.
  • If you have any questions, contact the Education Welfare Team.
School leaving age
All children in year 11 reach school leaving age on the same date, no matter when their 16th birthday falls. This is the last Friday in June.
The arrival of a National Insurance Number does not mean a child can work full time. Any full time job undertaken by a school aged pupil before the leaving date would be an offence by the employer.
Many young people stay on at school or college after year 11. From that time on, no employment licence is required.
Health and Safety
The employer is responsible for the health, safety and welfare of all employees. 
The employer must have carried out a risk assessment and tell the parents about any measures they have taken. If the child needs protective clothing, this must be    provided by the employer. A child not registered for employment may not be covered by insurance.
For more information
Contact the Education Welfare Team on  01782 235355
Please mark for the attention of the Education Welfare Team, or visit